DTG - Kornit Printheads

During this course, you will gain a mastery level knowledge of what a print-head is, its function respective to the Kornit Digital printers as well as proper care and routine maintenance.

What is a printhead?

What is a print-head... and why do I care?

What is a print-head?

This of the print-head as the heartbeat of the machine. The print-head is responsible for applying the water-based ink directly to the substrate (fancy word for "surface of item to be printed"). This means that your print-head is directly responsible for the quality of an image printed and can also impact your productivity.

Think of the print-head as if it was nozzle of a can of spray paint. If the nozzle (print-head) is dirty, clogged or damaged,  the can will not spray accurately. In the case of the Kornit print-head, if it is dirty, clogged, damaged, or improperly maintained machine will not be able to print the high quality designs our creators make and our buyers love. This will also slow down the operator as maintenance has to be involved regularly and parts replaced more often.

By properly maintaining the Kornit print-heads, Teespring can continue to disrupt the industry while on its path to World Class service and quality. 

How does a Kornit print-head work?

Piezoelectric drop-on-demand (DOD) printheads

The Kornit printers used by Teespring utilize Piezoelectric drop-on-demand (also know as DOD) inkjet technology. Translation? Micro-bursts of electrical current zap the ink droplets into a precise area on the substrate.

By utilizing DOD technology, commercial inkjet printers such as the Kornit Digital used by Teespring are able to print details precisely as expected while flawlessly blending color sequences for vivid, high-quality prints.

How do I clean a Kornit printhead properly?

How to clean a print-head

Gloves & Lint Free Wipe 

In order to prevent contamination it is important to always use a new pair of gloves and a clean, lint-free wipe provided. 

Print-head wiping

In order to effectively clean a Kornit print-head, begin approximately 60% back on the print-head and wipe toward your body. Fold the wipe over and wipe the remaining 40% of the print-head away from you.

Why is it important to clean a Kornit printhead properly?

Benefits of proper print-head maintenance and cleaning.

Benefits of regular print-head care

  • Higher quality (Yay happy customers!)
  • Higher productivity 
  • Lower costs due to parts replacement
  • Better customer service

Effects of poor print-head care

  • Poor quality and higher defect rate
  • Lower productivity 
  • Customer experience suffers

Quiz

What is the proper wiping direction and percentage?

  • 40% toward me followed by 60% away from me
  • 60% toward me followed by 40% away from me
  • 100% toward me, it doesn't need to be split up
  • 50% toward me followed by 50% away from me

What is a print-head?

  • The printer face is on the print-head and it is on top of the printer. It is the brain of the printer and controls all of the software operations.
  • The print-head is the heartbeat of the printer. It is used to apply the water-based ink to the substrate.
  • The print-head is what holds the water-based ink cartridges and notifies the user when it is time to clean the ink trap.
  • The print-head is the the lead printer working in the area. This is the person to go to if you have any issues with your printer.

Print-Head: True of False?

  • I don't need to clean the print-head because it was already cleaned during the last shift.
  • Cleaning the print-head at regularly scheduled times ensures high quality, less downtime and reduced costs.
  • Cleaning the print-head is a regular part of the DTG operator job duties and is not an optional task.

What are the benefits of proper print-head care? Click all that apply.

  • Lower costs due to not replacing parts as frequently and less maintenance hours dedicated to fixing print-heads.
  • Higher quality prints that make buys and sellers happy and the operator proud.
  • Higher productivity due to reduced downtime and less process variation.
  • No benefits.