UNIT CODE COMPOL 001 COMMUNITY POLICING 001
- Has the organization written or revised these statements to reflect an organization-wide commitment to the philosophy and principles of community policing?
- Does the process include soliciting input from all levels of the police department, including sworn, non-sworn, and civilian personnel?
- Does the process include soliciting input from outside the police department: the community, business, civic officials, public agencies, community institutions (schools, hospitals, the faith community), non-profit agencies, formal and informal community leaders, and community residents?
Code of Ethics
- Has the organization written or revised a Code of Ethics that reflects the principles of community policing?
- Does producing a new Code of Ethics encourage input from inside and outside the organization?
- Does the Code of Ethics discuss issues such as civility, courtesy, respect for civil rights including the right to privacy), and sensitivity to diversity?
Leadership & Management Style
- Does the department support and exhibit leadership at all levels in implementing, institutionalizing, and maintaining the momentum of community policing? Does the department empower the community to support and exhibit leadership in this regard?
- Does the implementation plan reflect invertingthe power pyramid, shifting power, authority, and responsibility to line-level?
- Do managers serve as facilitators who access resources from inside and outside the department in service of community building and problem solving?
- Do managers act as models for the behavior that they want others to follow? Does this include demonstrating sensitivity to diversity?
- Do managers act as coaches who inspire and instruct?
- Do managers act as mentors who guide and support?
- Does the internal management style exhibit a striving for collaboration and consensus?
- Does the department have a mechanism to prevent, identify, and deal with burnout?