Why Learn the Fundamentals?
Let me tell you about Karl. Karl is your new client. He has worked with Nielsen for many years through the various roles he has had at several previous clients. Karl has recently relocated to a new country and as a result has a new Nielsen client management team.
You are part of this new team and it is your objective to develop the fundamental skills required to ensure that Nielsen delivers the great client service Karl has come to expect.
What are the Fundamentals?
The fundamentals are your key to success both at Nielsen and with your clients. How you provide service to your clients will be just as important as which products you sell them, if not more so. During the opening video, the three main client needs were highlighted. The bullets under each of the client needs below represent the actions you need to take to deliver great client service. We will cover each of these in more detail throughout this course. Approximate time to complete each section is listed.
- Client Need: To meet business objectives (~20 minutes)
- Focus on how you can help your client address their business issues.
- Be curious about your client and their world. This is all about research.
- Be collaborative - teamwork.
- Client Need: To feel valued (~20 minutes)
- Listen more than you talk.
- Understand your client's needs and expectations.
- Open yourself to feedback.
- Client Need: To feel comfortable with Nielsen (~40 minutes)
- Maintain confidentiality and integrity in everything you do.
- Manage your time and priorities successfully.
- Be simple, clear and concise.
- Communicate effectively using the right tools.
- Manage your brand and the Nielsen brand.
Download this worksheet to assess your client service skills. Based on your answers, identify three to five areas you would like to improve in. Plan to discuss these with your manager following this course, along with how you can develop these skills in your role. Use this worksheet to help with the discussion.
How Will You Learn the Fundamentals?
There are many ways to learn the fundamentals: Your manager, your peers, job aids, the Internet and, of course, this program! Throughout the rest of this program there will be links to job aids and websites that you can download and visit to expand your knowledge.
Watch for this icon, as it will highlight opportunities for you to apply the lesson to your job or to think about how the lesson affects your clients.
Sometimes you will also see the video icon, which indicates there is a video available on the page with tips and advice from your peers around the world.
Here is the first video! In this video your peers will share their top tips for providing great client service.