The value of creating prototypes
Prototyping is the process of quickly testing out your ideas so that you can share them with users and get feedback. To do this you will:
- Put together a paper or cardboard version of your concept.
- Focus on communicating 1-2 key ideas about a concept, not making the prototype perfect.
- Plan to make multiple prototypes in your process, as you learn from users what works and what doesn't.
As you begin to narrow in on a handful of solution concepts that seem most promising, prototyping your ideas can help you test them out and decide if they need to be abandoned or changed.
Prototypes can (and should) be quick and inexpensive to create. In this module, we’ll explore common prototyping techniques that you can use in your own projects.
Which of the following are benefits of prototyping?
- Can help you explore physical aspects of a product, like style, shape, and size
- Provides an early indication of aspects of the design that may not work
- Guarantees success when the product or service finally launches
- Results in something that users can give you feedback on
- All of the above