Queensland Bicycle Safety And Road Rules
Throughout this lesson you will learn the various bicycle safety and road rules needed in order to ride responsibly in Queensland. For you to hire a bicycle in Nibraro, you must learn the Queensland bicycle safety guidelines and road rules as well as pass the following quiz.
To hire a bike, 100% is required on the following quiz.
- It is important to wear an Australian Standard Approved Helmet while riding
- Riders should wear appropriate footwear while riding a bike
- Riders should check their bike to make sure there are no obvious mechanical problems
- Stay hydrated
- Understand your riding skills and make sure to ride safely within your capabilities
- If there are low light conditions, make sure to wear reflective clothing
- Try your best to avoid crowded areas
- Sound your bell to alert pedestrians that are in your path
- Obey the road rules
Bicycle Road Rules
- Pay attention to road signs
- Signal by extending your right arm out to your right side if you are turning right
- You must maintain a 2 metre gap between a car if you are following that car for more than 200 metres
- You should do your best to avoid being a traffic hazard
- You must keep to the left at all times
- Riders can bike in special purpose lanes
- You can ride across crossings as long as you obey the same rules as pedestrians for that crossing
- When on a footpath, you must keep left of oncoming riders and give way to pedestrians
For More Information
Disclaimer: This learning object is made for assessment under a Bachelor of IT.
Is it important to wear appropriate footwear?
What should you do when approaching a crowded area?
- Weave through the crowd
- Get off your bike and walk through the crowd
- Avoid the crowd all together
- None of the above
What type of helmet should you wear?
- Australian Approved Helmet
- Australian Standard Approved Helmet
- Approved Helmet
- Standard Helmet
When riding you should...
- Drink lots of water
- Pay attention to you phone
- Ride less than 2 metres behind a vehicle
- Be silly
You see pedestrians along your path so you...
- Yell at them so that they move out of your way
- Sound your bell to alert them
You are riding along the road and you need to make a right turn. You...
- Wave your right arm to signal that you're turning right
- Extend your left arm to the sky to signal you are turning to your right
- Extend your right arm to your left side to signal you are turning to your right
- Extend your right arm to your right side to signal you are turning to your right
Should you avoid being a traffic hazard?
You should do your best to keep left at all times when riding on the road.
When riding on a footpath and there are oncoming riders, you should...
- Stay to the right
- Stay to the left
Road signs apply to bicycle riders as well as vehicles.