Who do we need to protect ourselves from?
For most people using a computer, tablet or phone to do things online is part of everyday life. It helps us manage our lives, and brings us a lot of enjoyment. However there are those who try to use our online activities against us so it's important to protect ourselves against people:
- trying to cause emotional harm, physical harm or exploit you sexually
- using your social media accounts to cause trouble or embarrass you
- using your photos video etc without you saying they can
- using your credit card or stealing your money (when you are old enough to have online accounts)
- stealing your identity (Usually only over 18s are targeted)
- Tricking you into spending money when playing games
- putting viruses on your computer, tablet or phone
Is the way you access the online world safe?
Think about the ways you get online .... are they safe? Whether you use a phone, tablet, laptop or computer, have you set a password to use it? If you haven't set a password, anyone that gets hold of your device could get into your online accounts, get information about you and even post things in your name.
Keep your passwords to yourself
Passwords are your first line of defence against people who want to target you so it's important that you keep them to yourself. This goes for the passwords you set on your devices and for the passwords to your online accounts such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc. It might be tempting to tell a friend your password so they can do something but the safest thing is to just keep passwords to yourself.
Who do you need to protect yourself against on line?
- Anyone who want's to make life difficult for you
- Someone who just wants to play a joke on you
- Sex abusers
- Cyber criminals who want to steal from you