Untitled content 1
MARK 460STRATEGIC MARKETING
with Duane Weaver
Week 1 - Introduction
Untitled content 2
Overview of Course Outline
Overview of Course Text
Overview of Evaluation Requirements
Defining “Strategic Marketing”
Untitled content 3
Introductions - Instructor
B.Comm., M.D.Ed. (honours), IESNA
Marketing Chair, VIU
Director of Marketing (past), ABSEL (Association of Business Simulation and Experiential Learning)
Marketing, Business and Computer App’s Instructor
25+ years marketing management experience
Strategic Marketing Experience (sample):
CEO 2Birds1Stone Media – Marketing Consulting
Business Development Manager, International Sales Manager – MPR Teltech
Product Manager, Market Manager – ED TEL
Corporate Re-engineering (project sponsor team lead) – ED TEL
General Manager - TIR Systems
Enjoy sailing, soccer, cycling, golf and camping
Untitled content 4
Introductions - Students
Take 3 minutes to prepare to introduce yourself:
- your name?
- What would be the one best thing for you to learn from this class?
- Identify your strongest (2 to 3) marketing skills .
Untitled content 5
- MARKETING STRATEGYA Decision-Focused ApproachEight EditionOrville, Walker Jr., Mullins (2016)
Untitled content 6
This is a case-based course (both written and living) and will involve both in class and out of class teamwork.
The top 4 teams will have the opportunity to engage with a real living challenge within the Island community.
Students should be prepared to travel to another city on Vancouver Island to meet with their client. You should be prepared to provide your own transportation to and from the client’s location.
This course will take a lecture/seminar approach. We will have:
One term Test
Three different team tasks:
- First team * - Case Pitch Competition
- Final Project Team - Case Pitch Competition
- Final Project Team – Strategic Marketing Plan Project Report (several deliverables)
and One Individual Expertise Report
* The top team from the first team project will each become leaders and self select their final project team.
Untitled content 7
Term Test 1 20%
Three different team tasks: 50%
- First team - Case Pitch Competition (pitch/paper+peer) (5%+5%)
- Final Project Team - Case Pitch Competition (10%)
- Final Project Team – Strategic Marketing Plan Project Report (several deliverables) (30%)
MARKETING WEEK assignments 5%
Individual Expertise Report 15%
Participation, External Evaluation
& Team Peer Evaluation 10%
NO FINAL EXAM
Untitled content 8
Course Outline OVERVIEW
- See Hand Out and Very Important Items to note:(E.G.: This is a CAPSTONE course in Marketing and a high level of professionalism is expected).
Untitled content 9
Strategic Marketing Defined
Please take out a sheet of paper and provide:
your first and last name on the top of the paper
your student I.D.# on the top of the paper
briefly answer the following question in one paragraph:
What does “Strategic Marketing” mean to you?
Please Hand in your answer before you leave today
Untitled content 10
Please come prepared to classes having read the required readings ahead of time.
You should prepare for the first case on your own. We will form our “First Team” that day and you will work together in class to develop your
Case and Case Pitch. Your case report
is due on January 19th
(please bring 4 printed copies).
SEE YOU NEXT CLASS