An Introduction to Selah Institute of Health & Beauty & African Angels
Selah Institute of Health & Beauty (SIHB) is a registered training organisation in South Africa. Until recently, the head office was based in Cradock Eastern Cape where the college opened its doors to the first students in 2012. The head office is now based in Clocolan, Free State. Selah Institute of health & Beauty is a member of the South African Spa Association and holds accreditation with Services Seta (National) and ITEC (International). The organisation was initiated to provide accessibility and credibility to learners who cannot afford mainstream training options or the luxury of full-time college attendance in Health & Beauty Education.
The Holding company is Selah Foundation (Pty) Ltd. The organisation provides meaningful support to the registered Non Profit Company African Angels (Zambli 290). This is a multiple award-winning program, which exists to empower African Women and Youths in Life Coaching, Beauty Education, Employment and Enterprise opportunities. The African Angels Program started in 2009 and there is a growing demand from the hospitality sector to employ our candidates, who are well rounded due to workplace experience and mentoring.
The founder of both organisations, Lucille Ferreria, is a Subject Matter Expert in Beauty, Education, Marketing and Business Development with 16 years experience. Authenticity, Truth, Knowledge and Passion best describe the foundation on which this institution and associated partners are required operate.
In 2015 Lucille was awarded the Spa Visionary Award by the South African Spa Association and Les Nouvelle Esthetiques Paris, for the successful implementation of both organisations over the past 7 years. Every year, we welcome like-minded educators and organisations like yourself to join us in being the difference we hope to see in South Africa.
Qualifying Criteria: Experience Platform, SIHB Satelite Beauty School, Workplace Facilitator
This is a workplace where existing employees' Learning Programs are sponsored by the employer.
This is also called an Employer Sponsored Learnership. The obligations of an experience platform are to:
- Ensure the availability of a workplace facilitator to mentor the candidates (training therapists)
- Allocate a minimum of 2 hours per week for mentoring.
- Provide a standard employment agreement to the candidate, if one is not already in place.
- Pay a monthly training retainer to the Satellite Beauty School or SIHB, depending on who has activated the site.
SATELLITE BEAUTY SCHOOL
What is a satellite beauty school?
- This is an extension of the primary beauty school Selah Institute of Health & Beauty and is a viable option for Spa Industry employers who train staff on an ongoing basis or have an ongoing need for new staff members.
- The owner of the satellite beauty school is appointed as the Principal of the satellite beauty school and is accountable for all upholding all legal, administrative and quality aspects of the training site.
- A satellite beauty school can offer programs directly to learners who are successfully enrolled, but enrollments must be processed and courses approved by SIHB Head Office.
- The satellite beauty school is also known as an "off-site learning facility", as it does not hold accreditation with out the covering of the primary beauty school Selah Institute of Health & Beauty.
- The satellite beauty school can only offer programs which it has been authorised to by SIHB.
- To receive a full presentation on how to apply for a satellite beauty Email [email protected]
In both instances the following support must be in place:
- A qualified, subject matter expert must be available to facilitate the learning program and mentor the learners.
- The Facilitator signs a Service Level Agreement and a facilitator code of conduct.
- 2 hours per week must be allocated to assessing the learners' understanding of the theory and practical work covered.
- Practical resources and facilities to cater for the learning program undertaken. A checklist is provided once the facility is approved.
- Detailed Lesson Plans and Session Plans to be generated prior to commencement of training.
WORKPLACE FACILITATOR REQUIREMENTS
Being a subject Matter Expert, this translates to:
- Holding the recognised qualifications, relevant to the learning program.
- Holding industry related working experience, relevant to the learning program.
- Ensure a minimum of 2 hours per week to evaluate learner progress and deposit new skills.
There is a Service Level Agreement (SLA) in place between the Facilitator and the owner of the Satellite Beauty School or directly with Selah Institute of Health & Beauty, depending on who appoints the Workplace Facilitator. All facilitator credentials must be placed on record with SIHB Head Office
Operations, Procedures & Legal Structure
COLLEGE ENROLLMENT PROCEDURE
- Provide Course Information to applicant
- Conduct Eligibility Assessment for Academic or OBE Learning Programs
- Based on results of Eligibility Assessment select course of study.
- Issue Letter of Acceptance confirming enrollment details
SERVICES SETA STUDENT ENROLMENTS
SAQA - South African Qualifications Authority
NQF - National Qualifications Framework
SETA - Sector Education Training Authority
SIHB - Selah Institute of Health & Beauty
NLRD - National Learner Record Data Base
OBE - Outcome Based Education
PoE - Portfolio of Evidence
FET - Further Education & Training
Explanation of Terms & Phrases
The (SAQA) South African Qualifications Authority is a juristic person - that is an entity given a legal personality by the law. The South African Qualifications Authority Board is a body of 12 members appointed by the Minister of Higher Education and Training. - see more at www.saqa.org.za
NQF - The National Qualifications Framework is the system that records levels of learning achievement to ensure that the skills and knowledge that have been learned are recognised throughout the country. There are eight levels on the NQF.
SETA - Sector Education Training Authority. The Beauty Industry falls under the authority of Services Seta, but there are 27 SETAs in South Africa, one for each industry sector. - se more at www.serviceseta.org.za
Learner Section A - A Document capturing Learner Information & Training Agreements
NLRD - Services Seta Learner Enrolment & Exit Procedure
OBE - The learners need to meet specific benchmarks in practice and theory.
PoE - Summaries, Worksheets, Assignments and Assessments (Projects) completed by the learner.
- advance the objectives of the NQF
- oversee the further development and implementation of the NQF; and
- co-ordinate the sub-frameworks.
- - See more at: SAQA
- SIHB Head Office performs the following Learner Administrative services:
- Sending NLRD - Learner uploads, Updates & Exit Template to Services Seta
- Collecting, Filing & Storage of Learner Section A Information
- Collecting, Filing & Storage of Facilitator Reports & Learner Outcomes
- Assessment & Moderation of Learner PoE's
A closer look at Section A documentation:
- The purpose of this document is to limit legal liability and make essential information available to the learner.
A closer look at the NLRD template to be completed by SIHB for upload to Service Seta:
The NLRD document:
- Records Learner Information for upload to the National Learner Database.
- Records information for certification of Learners
- Information is required by law.
Unpacking a Qualification:
Understanding the Unit Standard:
The unit standard is a stand alone component, but can also form part of a course or module when clustered with other unit standards. When Modules are clustered or grouped this forms a qualification. You can download a copy of the unit standard you are going to facilitate from the SAQA website. If you already know the code of the unit standard you can just type the code e.g. 377487 + SAQA into your search station.
The Learning Program is developed based on the rules of each Unit Standard Document as well as the Specific Outcomes and Assessment Criteria. The Facilitator is primarily concerned with the following components of the Unit Standard Document:
Learning Assumed to be in Place - not to be confused with Prerequisites
Specific Outcomes - Tiles of each chapter to be facilitated and assessed
Assessment Criteria - Sub-Sections of each title to be addressed assessed
Essential Embedded Knowledge - Embedded in the unit standard
Critical Cross-field Outcomes - Related Job Skills
Credits - NQF Aligned
Notional Hours - Multiply Credits by 10 to get total delivery hours. Delivery must be 30% theory and 70% practical.
Log Book - Required by law. It is a criminal offence to forge a log book entry. Must be signed by learner and supervisor (Workplace Mentor or Facilitator).
Unit Standard Template (Example)
Unit 377487 - Perform a Relaxing Back Massage
What is in a Training Package ?
- Section A Learner Documentation
- Handbook/ Manual - explains subject matter
- Learner Workbook or Summaries of Handbook
- Formative Assessment - Write a class test once the content has been delivered and summaries have been marked.
- Summative Assessment - Write a Summative Assessment at the end of each Unit standard.
- Answer Guide - Memorandum of correct answers for marking.
- Facilitators Guide - Provides Guidelines for Facilitation
- Assessors Guide - Provides Guidelines for Assessment
- Moderators Guide - Provides Guidelines for Moderation
- Alignment Matrix - Provides Outline of Qualification Delivery & Learning Objectives.
- Logbook - Records Learner Participation and completion of Notional Hours.
OBE - Assessment Outcomes & Recording Process
Competent - If the learner has met all the benchmarks in the learning program the assessor will deem the learner "competent."
Not Yet Competent - If the learner has not met all the benchmarks in the learning program the assessor will deem the learner "not yet competent."
Quality Facilitation Mechanisms
Quality Assessment Mechanisms
Quality Recording Mechanisms: (Examples)
Learner Self-Assessment Checklists - Same as Facilitator Observation Checklists. These require learner self-evaluation.
Third Party Checklists - Same as Facilitator Checklists, usually require observation and feedback from a third party such as salon manager or fellow learner.
Facilitator & Assessor Observation Checklists
PoE Feedback Report - Learner Feedback from Facilitator.
Stationary Coding for PoE's
- No Pencil or Tippex as this brings authenticity into question
- Learner - Black or Blue print
- Facilitator - Red print
- Assessor - Green print
- Moderator - Purple print
Staying Organised - The Facilitator's Project File (Example)
Learner Facilitation Process:
Pre-Enrollment Interview and entry level assessment
Enrollment Process & Administration (Section A Document & PoE Index)
Learner Information uploaded to NLRD Template and SETA
Delivery of Theory & Practical Knowledge
Reflective Practice - summaries and class tests/worksheets
Populate PoE Facilitator/Supervisor Assessment Tools
Provide Learner Feedback Reports and Guidance
Summative Pre-Assessment Meeting (Exam Preparation)
Demonstration of Knowledge Retained - Summative Exam (Theory & Practical)
Generate Facilitators Report concerning Learners' PoE
Internal Assessment of Learner PoE
Generate Assessors Report concerning Learners PoE and Project Overall Closing Report
Generate Internal Moderation of Learner PoE and Moderators Closing Report
Learner Progress updated on NLRD Template and SETA System
Await external moderation - PoE's to be sent to SIHB Head Office or appointed office.
If certification is upheld, pursue regular follow ups with regards to process
Once learner is issued with certification, they must sign in receipt of the document.
- Completion vs Competency - Once the candidate has been successfully assessed and externally moderated by Services Seta, SIHB Head Office will issue an academic transcript, a letter of recommendation, based on facilitator feedback and a temporary Certificate of Completion which indicates that the Services Seta Certificate is in progress. Only Services Seta may issue a certificate of Competency.
- Timeline - There have been delays at SETA in issuing certification over the past number of years. It is best to bring this to the learner's attention prior to enrollment to avoid agitated graduates.
- Process - Learner must sign in receipt of certificate and the notification must be filed at the relevant training site, as well as being submitted to SIHB Head Office for record keeping.
Principles for Assessment
VARCS Assessment principles must be applied to all training assessment processes, including those performed by the facilitator.
Principles of assessment
Methods of Assessment:
The Alignment Matrix
- Provides structure and transparency of the Learning Program
Is the documented planning and delivery of learning outcomes
- Starts with the broad outcomes expected of all students
- Then works backward to design academic program outcomes
- Specifies learning program outcomes that will lead to the achievement of both program and institutional benchmarks.
- It is used as the framework to design assessment tools
The Lesson Plan
Provides broad strokes to give the Facilitator and the Learner an outline of the training benchmarks, timeline (Class Schedule), information sources and curriculum to be delivered.
Example of a Lesson Plan
The Session Plan
Provides a more detailed look at the Specific Outcomes and Assessment Criteria, including how they will be delivered and assessed during a single session. The session plan details how many hours will be spent on facilitating or assessing each Specific Outcome.
Example of a Session Plan
Facilitator - Project Overarching Report
This is also know as a close-off report. Here the facilitator gives feedback on the challenges and positive aspects, which will be utilised by the course developer, assessor, moderator and SETA. A template is provided with activation of training site.
Communication to SIHB Head Office:
Learner Enrollment Documentation must be submitted to the appointed Dropbox folder allocated to the Facilitator within 7 days of acceptance of enrollment by the satellite school.
The satellite beauty school may only notify the learner of acceptance of enrollment once SIHB Head Office have confirmed that the application is approved.
The learner information will be submitted to the NLRD within 21 days of acceptance of enrollment by Selah Institute of Health & Beauty.
Recording Your Hours as a Facilitator
Keep a log book in excel indicating the following hours ;
Practical Delivery - Demonstration, Observation, Role-Play, Audio Visual etc.
Theoretic Delivery - Lectures, Tutoring, Facilitation, Explanation of Work etc.
Administration - Facilitation Work (Marking), Reporting and Recording Work etc.
Access to learning material and templates:
Appointed Workplace Facilitators & Approved Training Sites are provided with full access to required content and templates on activation of the training site.
You have completed the Train the Trainer Introductory Course.
The revision activities to practice the skills you have learned today and will be available in two weeks time.
Please contact Lucille Ferreira at [email protected] if you have any questions in the interim.