The Big Picture
Introduction and Course Objectives
Mind mapping is a powerful tool for accomplishing a wide variety of things. It's a much better way to organize your thoughts than simply jotting down a list on paper. Your brain doesn't work in a linear way, so why organize in a linear way?This is the idea behind mind mapping. Mind maps visually represent
Mind mapping is a powerful tool for accomplishing a wide variety of things. It's a much better way to organize your thoughts than simply jotting down a list on paper. Your brain doesn't work in a linear way, so why organize in a linear way?
This is the idea behind mind mapping. Mind maps visually represent information, ideas, and structures in a way that immediately shows relationships. In effect, they’re better suited to the human brain.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the benefits of using mind maps to help you understand why this tool is essential in both your business and personal life. This is the organizational technique of the future (although it's already widely used) and you'll discover why.
- Discuss mind mapping methods and gather the tools you'll need to start mapping. The basics are enough to get you started and during the course, you'll make your first mind maps.
- Use mind maps to manage and organize information. You can use mind maps for presentation material, lecture notes, or any other large body of information you need. Mind maps make this information easier to recollect and understand.
- Plan a project using a mind map. This is an excellent skill for business people. A mind map helps you to put all of the elements together and convey the project details to others easily.
- Use mind maps for more effective brainstorming. You can use a mind map to record and organize ideas, and it's much faster than keeping a list.
- Solve problems using mind maps. People tend to go with the 'common sense' solution that pops into their minds first. Using a mind map, you can explore a problem more thoroughly and consider alternate solutions.
- Outline and design a website using a mind map. Since the Internet is non-linear by nature, mind maps are great for planning websites. You can lay out your website's navigation and other elements using mind maps.
- Identify the most common mistakes people make when they create mind maps so that you can speed up your learning curve.
- Identify the next steps you need to take and set you on your way.