New Employee Orientation Checklist
Welcome to the WRHA, we're glad to have you on board!
Before you dive in, please take a look at this welcome video by the WRHA's Chief Executive Officer, Real Cloutier:
This checklist is the first part of your orientation to WRHA.
There is a lot to learn and you may feel like your orientation will take some time as you find your feet in your new role or in your new job with us. Don't worry, aside this checklist, there is an in-person session to welcome you to the culture and people that make this organization so vibrant and rewarding.
Also, as you start in your unit or in your new department, an on-the-job orientation with your direct colleagues and superiors will also help you learn the ropes and before you know it, you will be a pro and, who knows, you might be helping to welcome and orient another new employee!
One more time: Welcome to the WRHA! :)
Before You Start
A few things before you start:
- Go through this checklist to see step-by-step what you need to do for your onboarding.
- Each item listed will show you what it is, where to find it and how to complete it as well as by when you have to do it.
- Check off items as you complete them.
- You can "pause" this checklist at any time and save your progress. Come back to this checklist as you complete items to cross them off. This will keep you on track and allow your manager to see how far along you are.
Required LMS Courses
You can sign up for an account by clicking here and filling out the form. You will need to know / have:
- work email address
- the Regional program you belong to
- the Site / Location you work at
Most of the courses you are required to take are on the regional LMS.
You will need your official work email in order to create an account, but once you do, go to this address: https://manitoba-ehealth.learnflex.net and follow these steps:
- Click on New User.
- Fill out all of the required fields.
- Click Next to confirm your details and then you're done.
When you select your region, be careful:
Course catalogues differ by region (see descriptions below). If you select the wrong region, you will not see all the courses that are available for you to take.
- Healthcare Students All students that are in placement in the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA), but are not Medical Residents. (Residents should register under University of Manitoba.) This includes Nursing, Med Rehab, Medical Clerks, and Allied Health.
- Manitoba eHealth All people employed by Manitoba eHealth, including contractors. If you have a Manitoba eHealth email address, you should select this region.
- Non-RHA All employees working with groups/programs or at sites that are not part of a regional health authority (the WRHA or a rural RHA). This includes CancerCare Manitoba and Diagnostic Services Manitoba employees.
- Prairie Mountain Health All employees employed by Prairie Mountain Health.
- Rural RHA All employees working with groups/programs or at sites that are part of a regional health authority other than the WRHA or Prairie Mountain Health.
- University of Manitoba All staff at the University of Manitoba who also practice in the WRHA. This includes resident and attending physicians.
- Winnipeg Health Region All WRHA employees, including those working in personal care homes, clinics and employees of other groups, programs or sites funded by the WRHA (includes WRHA staff seconded to Manitoba eHealth projects).
PHIA is the Personal Health Information Act and it is a critical part in every employee's behaviour. You are required to take an online course and complete a pledge as soon as reasonably possible but no later than 3 months after commencing your employment, contract, association or appointment, and then again every 3 years.
The course is available on the LMS and takes about 45 minutes to complete. To find the course on the LMS, follow these steps:
- Click here to go to the LMS and log in. (The link will open in a new window, you can close it when you're done and come back here without losing your spot.)
- Go to the Search in the top right corner and type "PHIA" into the search field.
- When the search results display, register for the "PHIA for WRHA" course.
- Done! :)
- Not done yet.
- I need help with this item.
HR Forms and Other Resources
It's always good to know the structure of the organization you just joined. To that end, here is the organizational structure for the WRHA:
Click here to see more details.
Clinical Orientation Content
Do you work in a clinical or non-clinical setting?
Employee Services and Perks
HSC Relaxation Centre
The Relaxation Center at HSC offers short relaxation sessions in a number of different modalities, such as:
- Reiki (20 minute session)
- Polarity Therapy (20 minute session)
- Relaxation Massage (20 minute session)
- Soqi bed
- Shiatsu Leg and Foot Massager
- Thermal Massage Bed (for people under 200lb)
- Meditation corner with massage chair
- Amethyst Bio-Mat
- Inada Massage Chair
Suzanne Lagasse emails with upcoming sessions frequently, to get on her mailing list, please click here.
Best lunch spots!
HSC, being a large campus, offers a few excellent lunch choices:
- In the summer, there are several hot dog vendors around the area, most notably Yewch's Dogs between Isabel M. Steward and the Manitoba Clinic. If you're coming from the main building, cross McDermott by Cancer Care and follow the sign. Best Bison Dogs and always friendly service!
- 24 Hour Food Court. The food court at HSC is located on the 2nd floor of the main hospital in the Green Owl Zone. It offers several vendors, including a spot where you can get a daily special, a potato bar, a quesadilla bar, and pre-packaged options. There's also a small Tim Hortons and a Salisbury House.