Roofing 101 - GAF
In these set of videos, you will learn about roofing best practices from GAF.
Mastering the Roof - GAF
Mastering the Roof - Introduction (System and Components)
Mastering the Roof - Roofing Danger Signals
What are 3 indicators of a failing roof system?
- Leaking Roof
- Granule Loss
- Cracked and/or Curling Shingles
- Pine needs on the roof
- If the homeowner tells you its failing
Can inadequate ventilation help or harm a roofing system?
- Poor ventilation can cause mold, high utility costs, and prematurely fail a roof.
- It doesn't really harm anything.
Mastering the Roof - Safety on the Roof
Per the US Dept. of Labor, how roofers are killed each year due to safety accidents?
What is the proper ladder etiquette for safely climbing a ladder?
- Keep all of your hands and feet on the ladder at the safe time
- It's ok to carry materials in both hands as long as you have your balance
- The 3-1 Rule. Always have a minimum of 3 points of contact on the ladder at all times.
Mastering the Roof - Roof Deck Tear Off and Prep
Is it better to leave the old roofing materials in place or tear them completely off?
- Leave them in place. It helps create a secondary barrier of protection.
- Remove all materials down to the deck so you can properly inspect the substrate.
Mastering the Roof - Drip Edge Installation
Why should drip edge be used?
- We can charge the homeowner more for this option
- It helps hold the shingles to the roof
- It prevents wind driven rain and moves water away from the deck and fascia.
Where should drip edge be installed? (choose two answers)
- At the Eaves directly fastened to the deck with underlayment underneath
- At the Rakes under the underlayment
- At the Rakes over the underlayment
- At the Eaves with the underlayment over top
Mastering the Roof - Leak Barriers
What are three areas vulnerable to leaks?
- Valley's, Chimney's, and Penetrations
- At the ridge opening
- Around the windows if the shingles are not installed properly
What are the names of the two GAF leak barriers? (choose 2)
- Weather Watch
Mastering the Roof - Premium Deck Protection
How should your underlayment be installed on a roof that is a 2/12-4/12 pitch?
- Single layer with extra button caps
- Double up on the underlayment to prevent leaks or future issues
- What's underlayment?
Mastering the Roof - Fasteners
What size nail is recommended for installing shingles?
How many nails should be used in a coastal application?
- 4 nails per shingle
- 8 nails per shingle
- 6 nails per shingle
Mastering the Roof - Installing a Starter Course
Why should starter strips be used?
- They help prevent blow-offs in a high wind situation
- The manufacturers just want to sell more product and make more money
- They help dress up the look of the roof
Mastering the Roof - Installing Timberline Shingles
Is it ok to rack laminate or architectural shingles?
- Yes, but only if you use enough nails.
- No, it can create a color variation and possible blow-offs.
What is the installation pattern for Timberline shingles?
- Lay each shingle side by side in full pieces per course
- 1st Course - Full shingle, 2nd Course - cut 6", 3rd Course - cut 11", 4th course - 17", then repeat
- 1st Course - Full shingle, 2nd Course - Full shingle, 3rd Course - cut 5", 4th course - cut 12", then repeat
Mastering the Roof - How to Shingle a Roof Valley
What are the three approved valley methods for shingle installation?
- Woven, Open, and Closed Cut
- Woven only
- Metal valleys only
Are valleys considered a leak prone area?
- Yes, we should always use a leak barrier to help for protection against leaks
- No, water will most way fast in this area due to the pitch of the roof
Mastering the Roof - Flashing Installation
Why is flashing important to a roofing system?
- It helps provide a finished look to the home
- It helps direct the flow of water away from the home
- It allows us to charge more money
Mastering the Roof - Liberty System (Low Slope)
When should a product like GAF Liberty be used?
- On any pitch greater than a 4/12
- On a roof pitch that is less than 2/12
- Only on commercial applications
What is the proper lap offset for Liberty?
- It should be every 18"
- It should be at least 36" and offset from the previous seam
- You can roll it out completely and have minimal offset on the lap
Mastering the Roof - Installing Ventilation
What is a benefit of having proper ventilation?
- It helps remove the moldy smells in your attic space
- Proper ventilation can help keep your heating and cooling bills to a minimum
- The ridge opening acts as a skylight letting in natural daylight.
Mastering the Roof - Finishing the Job