If a team member is not performing well within a matrix organization, what is the first step the team member's PM should take to address the situation?
PMI advocates direct confrontation in this type of situation. The first step would be to talk to the team member in person.
- Talk with the team member directly
- Talk with the team member's functional manager
- Ask the HR department for formal guidance
- Start a paper trail to document performance
Which of the following is the most important attribute or function of the project charter?
- Gives the PM authority to manage the project
- Authorizes the project budget
- Becomes the main input into the project plan
- Signed by the customer
You are the PM on a cable installation project that is similar to a project your company did 2 years ago for the same customer. The previous project was very successful, and the current project is on track for both time and budget.
- Accept the change if it will not affect the schedule or cost
- Evaluate the change to understand its impact to the project
- Submit the change to the change control board
- Accept the change if the customer agrees to the revised schedule and cost
What does the numbering system on a work package indicate?
- To whom it is assigned
- To which node on the WBS the work package belongs
- The estimated duration of the work
- The estimated cost for the work
Which of the following best describes the PMs role as an integrator?
- Help team members become familiar with the project
- Put all the pieces of a project into a program
- Get all the team members working well together
- Put all the pieces of a project into a cohesive whole
You are taking over a project during planning and discover that 6 individuals have signed the project charter. Which of the following should most concern you?
- Who will be a member of the CCB
- Spending more time on configuration management
- Finding out who is in charge
- Determining reporting structures
Which of the following activities is not performed in scope management?
- Ensure that all the work and only the authorized work is performed on the project
- Updating the scope baseline with approved change requests
- Creating the WBS dictionary
- Communicating the project scope statement to stakeholders
Your painting foreman has just given you three estimates on how long it will take to paint the exterior of the new office building being built by your project. He tells you that the best case is 12 days, the worst case is 21 days,
- 15 days
- 16.2 days
- 15.5 days
but realistically you can expect 15 days. What estimate will you use on your schedule?
Using the table below and assuming every day is a work day, in how many days will this project be completed?
- It cannot be determined without more information
Which of the following is the best definition of quality?
- The degree to which the customer is satisfied
- The degree to which a set of characteristics fulfills requirements
- The number of defects compared to acceptable outputs
- The degree to which the scope of the work is completed
What is progressive elaboration?
- A communications management technique
- Providing 360 degree feedback
- Continuously improving and detailing the project plan
- A term describing the linear nature of projects
Which is true about the Hierarchy of Needs theory?
- Conceived by Herzberg and contains hygiene and motivation factors
- Attributed to Maslow and includes a 5-tier model of motivation
- Attributed to Vroom and also called Expectancy Theory
- Observed by Tuckman and includes Forming and Storming
You are a PM with a team of 9 people, 2 customer representatives and 1 senior manager. A scope change request is approved that increases your project team by 30%. How many additional communication channels exist after the scope change?
What is the correct sequence?
- Scope Statement, Charter, Activities List
- WBS, Schedule, Cost Baseline
- Quality Metrics, Validated Deliverables, Charter
- Issue Log, Stakeholder Register, Verified Deliverables
In which organization is the PM the weakest?
- Weak matrix
- Strong Matrix
What would not be a potential outcome of failure to properly decompose project activities?
- Cost estimates would be inaccurate
- The PM would have difficulty assigning roles on the Responsibility Assignment Matrix
- The critical path could not be accurately determined
- The PM would not be able to properly make dependency determinations
A project was projected to cost $2 million and take 8 months to complete. 2 months into the project, the work is 50% complete and you have spent $1.2 million. What is the SPI?
Make or Buy analysis takes place during which process?
- Plan Procurement Management
- Analyze Activity Requirements
- Conduct Procurements
- Estimate Activity Requirements
What percentage of a PM's time is spent communicating?
What is the key output of Validate Scope?
- Validated Deliverables
- Verified Deliverables
- Interim Deliverables
- Accepted Deliverables
In what process is Work Performance Data collected?
- Direct and Manage Project Work
- Monitor and Control Project Work
- Analyze Work Performance
- Manage Project Team
Which is not a component of the Project Management Plan?
- Change Management Plan
- Scope Baseline
- Stakeholder Register
- Process Improvement Plan
What is the best definition of a Lesson Learned?
- The collective wisdom of the project team
- Insight from the Sponsor regarding what went well and what we should do differently on the next project
- A documented variance and the analysis of that variance
- Any deviation from the Project Management Plan
You are assessing project risk using a Probability and Impact Matrix. Which process are you performing?
- Identify Risks
- Perform Qualitative Risk Analysis
- Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis
- Control Risks
Your Sponsor is upset that you are behind schedule by 2 weeks and is demanding that you get things back on track. You requested additional funding to add resources but she will not authorize any additional spending. What represents your best option?
- Resource Optimization
- Crash the Schedule
- Adjust schedule lag
- Fast-Track the schedule