COACHING FOR SUCCESS
Coaching For Success provides supervisors with a structured way to lead purposeful conversations with team members, using a four-step coaching model.
The GROW coaching model is introduced as a platform for further skill development in the upcoming 'Supervision In Action' workshops.
Duration: 2 hours plus participation in our community of practice
Note: Take a break enables you to save your progress and gradually complete the course as time permits.
What is coaching?
Frequently the solution, to a dilemma raised in a supervision meeting, lies within the team member themselves.
The supervisor's role is to ask the right questions to help the team member reflect and arrive at their own course of action. This coaching process enables the team member to learn and grow.
Of course, depending on the gravity of the situation and the experience of the team member, it will at times be necessary for a supervisor to share their expertise and provide guidance.
Why is coaching an essential skill for managers?
REFLECTION: To what extent do you 'prescribe' solutions to the dilemmas raised by your team members during supervision meetings? How often do you use open questions to enable your team members to explore potential options and solutions?
2. THE GROW COACHING MODEL
The GROW Model
Four Steps to GROW
The GROW Model is a four-step process that helps you structure coaching conversations with team members.
GROW is an acronym that stands for:
Goal - what do you want?
Reality - where are you now?
Options - what could you possibly do?
Way Forward - what will you do?
REFLECTION: Think about a recent supervision meeting and a conversation you had related to a challenging situation facing a team member. How might you approach this conversation differently by applying the GROW model?
GROW Coaching in Action
Use the link below to view a video (7 min) that demonstrates coaching with GROW in practice:
THE GROW MODEL IN ACTION
GROW Coaching Aid
Download this GROW Coaching Aid using the link below, to prompt you through the 4 steps and get started with coaching your team:
GROW COACHING AID
Now click NEXT and go to instructions about how to get started on coaching with GROW.
Getting Started with GROW
15 min to review GROW as preparation
60 min to apply GROW in a Supervision meeting
1. Ensure a quiet space for your meeting. Coaching works best with your uninterrupted attention and deep listening.
2. Introduce the GROW model to a team member you already have a comfortable relationship with.
3. Use the GROW Coaching Aid to visually explain the 4-step process. Highlight that the flow of your conversation will improve with practice.
4. Download the GROW Coaching Questions at the link below, as suggestions for asking incisive, open questions that get your team member thinking:
GROW COACHING QUESTIONS
5. Document the actions for the Way Forward and provide your team member with a copy. Arrange your next supervision meeting to follow up.
4. REFLECT, CONNECT AND LEARN
REFLECTION: Think about your initial experience with coaching a team member using GROW. How well did the conversation flow and what emerged from using the 4-step process? What interesting observation(s) can you now share with your peers on Yammer?