Level A1 - EXAM 1 - General Knowledge
Before You Start
(This is just an example. You can put whatever you want here.)
This exam is part of the PM / Estimator Development Program. (Just testing hyperlinks.)
Who Should Take this Exam
Individuals who have:
- The aptitude to be a Project Manager / Estimator.
- Spent time on job sites and are become familiar with materials and methods.
NOTE: An electrical background is not required.
Time to Complete Exam
- Labour factoring for job conditions
- Basics of material takeoff / expanded material takeoff
- Manual of Labor Units introduction
- Labour units applied to material takeoffs
- Bid documents
- Organizing an estimate for control
Other Exam Related Info
(You can provide some other info PM / Estimators would need to know about the exams, for example...)
- Types of questions
- What is done with results
Multiple Choice with Single Answer (These sections are not visible to the learner.)
Supplementary conditions in a tender package:
- Modify existing contract clauses.
- Apply only to the General Contractor.
- Can be read without reference to any other document
- Are only to be reviewed when the job has been won
Liquidated damage clauses:
- Protect the contractor from flood insurance.
- Must be researched thoroughly to mitigate our risk at tender time.
- Only apply to the Prime Contractor.
- Have a maximum value of $1,000.00.
Pay when pay clauses:
- Are always worded clearly in section 3.12 of a contract.
- Are an acceptable revision to any contract.
- Can be waived if the customer gives us a down payment before we start the work.
- Must be negotiated away prior to the tender closing.
True or False
True or False Questions
- Bonding costs are the same for all projects.
- New customers should have a background check completed prior to receiving our bid.
- The Estimating BPI site has instructions how to pursue a background check.
- All estimates must be checked by another party prior to the price being submitted.
- Material pricing is regularly updated by Head Office.
Open-ended (Short Answer) Questions
Your labour status report shows more hours worked than total estimated but with only 50% of the work accomplished. Please explain what you should do in this situation.
(You can provide question instructions here.)
Answers to open-ended questions will be graded manually.
What is your opinion of foremen assisting in the management of the projects?
Please keep your answer short and to the point. Answers to open-ended questions will be graded manually.
(This is an example of a question instruction.)